Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Virus Visualized in 3D!



Currently, the structure of viruses are most accurate visualized using electron microscopy. Electron microscopy is considered to be a pretty outdated technology for many fields and uses; however, it remains at the forefront in the world of viruses. While electron microscopy can be useful for identifying particular viruses, the major drawback for the method is that it only provides a 2D image of the virus. For example, icosahedrally shaped virus capsids simply appear as hexagons under the microscope. While this type of image can be extremely useful to a trained eye, there is still much we can’t derive from this 2 dimensional image. 

With the help of the Stanford Linac Coherent Light Source, researchers have mapped the structure of mimivirus. They did this by shooting powerful, and exceedingly short pulses of X-rays at the virus. So as not to understate this idea, each pulse lasted only 70 fs with a peak in power density that was more than 1018 times that of sunlight energy hitting earth. Not surprisingly, these X-rays destroyed the mimivirus particle, but before vaporization occurred, the virus caused the X-rays to scatter generating a recordable diffraction pattern. This technique can not only show the 3D external structure of the virus, but also allow researchers to observe the distribution of electrons inside the mimivirus particle.

The team is continuing to work to make this technique applicable to both larger and smaller particles, potentially allowing for the visualization of many of the human viruses we’ve studied over the course of the year. 

-        Eddie Irvine

1 comment:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com