Friday, March 20, 2015

Oncolytic potential of Parvoviruses

As mentioned in class, parvoviruses are promising candidates for cancer therapy since they do not cause severe disease and have been shown to kill cancer cells.  The mechanism by which parvoviruses are able to attack cancer cells has thus far been unclear.  Recently however, researchers at the German Cancer Research Center were able to find a potential oncolytic mechanism by which parvoviruses act.

Using experimental mice, these researchers discovered that parvovirus binds to an enzyme called PDK1 kinase, which functions as a switch in important cell processes including cellular growth.  This binding leads to the activation of PDK1.

Interestingly enough, in healthy people, the parvovirus-PDK1 kinase activation pathway is not seen. However,  those with cancer (particularly those with glioblastoma) had permanently activated PDK1. In in vitro studies with constitutively active PDK1, parvoviruses were able to exploit the PDK1 pathway and replicate inside PDK1 cells, as they were in mice.  Such results are extremely exciting because they open the door for in vivo research studies that may show a link between parvovirus replication in PDK1 and cancer progression.

--Andrew Duong
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-03/gcrc-dtc031115.php

1 comment:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com