Thursday, March 19, 2015

Influenza B Causes Uncommon Rash in Canadian Outbreak

Influziasts, ProMed has struck my fancy once again. When I think of a list of viral exanthems, certain families come to mind like Paramyxoviridae (Measles), Togaviridae (Rubella), Parvoviridae (B19), Herpesviridae (Roseola, VZV), and Picornaviridae (Hand foot and Mouth). Orthomyxoviridae, the family of Influenza B, was not on this list until today!

Although this came up on the ProMed mailing list today, evidence of the flu associated rash was recorded from an outbreak in March of 2014 in British Columbia, Canada. The study, published in Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, found 2 elementary students and 2 high school students presenting with a maculopapular pruritic rash and Influenza like illness.

Maculopapular Pruritic Exanthem in Influenza B Patients
The patients' nasopharyngeal swabs were tested via RT-PCR for presence of influenza and other respiratory viruses. Only Influenza B returned positive. After the first PCR tests, the researchers tested for presence of Measles, enterovirus, and mumps nucleic acids, which all returned negative results. Further testing on the patient's serum was done to analyze antibody IgM titers against Measles, Human Parvovirus B-19, and Rubella. These were also negative.

Although this is an abnormal association in influenza infection, it is not completely novel. The researchers report two previous case associations with exanthem and influenza occurring in one 11 year old from India, and 4 German school children. However, this is the first time that Influenza has been associated with exanthem in North America.

Thanks ProMed for bringing weird viral clinical presentations to my email inbox! Happy finals week fellow virologists.

- Marcus Munoz



2 comments:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Kevin Lawrence said...

It was a wonderful experience knowing Dr James.
I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I'm on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. I knew I was in trouble as I've already lost appetite for everything about life I've heard of people who suffered this disease for years with no hope of solution. Imagine the pain and trauma keeping it a secret. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment who after telling him of my ailment he advised me to start with herbal medicines if I wish to live longer than doctors estimate He taught me the strong effects of plants on animals and how possible nature have perfected itself. He gave me Dr James herbal mix contact. I contacted him immediately, I told him the whole history which he gave me satisfactory answer. I purchased and started using his herbs as he had directed. This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I continued on dosage as prescribed one week later I noticed total comfort in my body system, I informed the doctor who advised me to continue medication till later end I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! I thank you greatly Dr  James for giving me back my life I'm the happiest man on earth. Reach Dr James  directly via email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com.Or Whatsapp Him on his mobile  +2348152855846  TO CURE YOUR DISEASES WITH HERBAL MEDICINES