Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Prime Minister of India launches Made in India ROTAVAC®Vaccine for the world

Rotavac, the super awesome cheap vaccine we were talking about in class, is now launched to be available to the rest of the world. This 3-dose vaccine has comparable vaccine efficacy as other licensed vaccines but is significantly cheaper. The drug company, Bharat Biotech, is offering the drug at $1 to governments of low income countries. The vaccine is affordable, safe, effective, and cross-protective against multiple strains. The perfect vaccine!

This addresses a serious issue. There are still100k deaths a year in India due to rotavirus diarrhea. Globally rotavirus disease burden is estimated at ~ 450,000 deaths, and ~ 2.0 million hospitalizations, mostly in low income countries. Prevention of rotavirus infections would lead to a significant reduction in infant mortality rates and reduce economic impact of hospitalizations to national governments across the globe.


What's most interesting about this vaccine is how it became to be. ROTAVAC® was developed through a unique social innovation partnership under the Indo-US Vaccine Action Program that brought together the experience and expertise of Indian and international researchers as well as the public and private sectors. The vaccine originated from an attenuated (weakened) strain of rotavirus that was isolated from an Indian child at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi in 1985-86. Since then, partners have included DBT, Bharat Biotech, the US National Institutes of Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Stanford University School of Medicine (Harry Greenberg), and the nongovernmental organization, PATH.



Excited to see more collaborations like these to develop new drugs and vaccines! 


- Jimmy

http://www.fiercevaccines.com/press-releases/prime-minister-india-launches-made-india-rotavac-vaccine-world

1 comment:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com