Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Lengths to Which Pakistan Will Go in the Fight Against Polio

Over 500 parents were recently arrested by the Pakistani police due to the fact that they had refused to allow their children to get vaccinated against polio (this occurred in the Khyber Paktunkhwa province). This happened on March 2, at the beginning of a three day regional vaccination campaign. While it is the first time that authorities have resorted to such extreme measures, there has been a fair amount of local resistance to the eradication efforts set forth by the government.

Pakistan, along with Nigeria and Afghanistan, are the three remaining countries in the world in which Polio remains endemic. They are under pressure to eradicate the disease, especially after the World Health Organization recommended restrictions in 2014 for Pakistanis travelling abroad in an effort to decrease the spread of the disease internationally. The Health Minister of Pakistan, Saira Afzal Tarar has mentioned that the government now has a zero tolerance policy with regards to refusing vaccination. While Pakistan reported a national emergency for polio in 2011, there was an increase of over 100 cases in the total count in 2014 (306 cases), the highest since 2001 (which saw 199 cases).

Reasons for resistance against the disease include the fact that there have been allegations by extremists that vaccination campaigns are used by the United States as a base for underground operations; others believe that vaccinations are a tactic used to sterilize Muslims by the West. Other factors that play a role other than the militants are weaknesses in terms of accountability and management in areas where polio cases are high.

Read more at:

http://www.dw.de/how-far-is-pakistan-willing-to-go-to-fight-polio/a-18291661?utm_content=buffer19dc8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

-Meche Peterson

1 comment:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com