Monday, December 1, 2014

The National Hockey League has the Mumps



It’s official; the National Hockey League has the mumps.  On Saturday, Tanner Glass, a player for the New York Rangers was isolated from his team because he was diagnosed with the mumps.  Glass was the first player in the Eastern Conference to be diagnosed, but he wasn’t the first player in the league.  On Friday, Clayton Stoner, a player for the Anaheim Ducks was diagnosed with the mumps, making that that third case for the Ducks.  Cases have also been confirmed on the Minnesota Wild and the St. Louis Blues.  NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly announced to the public that they “have an Infectious Disease Subcommittee that works under the auspices of the Joint Health and Safety Committee.”  This subcommittee has been working hand in hand with CDC officials to establish vaccine and booster protocols, screening protocols, and preventative measures.

Mumps scourge that has infected the NHL hits the Rangers, too


The mumps virus is an enveloped single-stranded negative sense RNA virus in the family paramxyoviridae.  It is the causative agent of mumps, the disease.  Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite, and swollen salivary glands.  These were the same symptoms that these NHL players initially reported before they were diagnosed.  The incubation period ranges from 16-18 days, but can last into the 25th day after infection.  The disease isn't very lethal, but it is miserable and has been shown to cause sterility in males. The virus spreads by droplets of saliva or mucus from the mouth or nose of an infected person; this normally happens when someone coughs, sneezes, or talks closely to another person.  People can also leave the virus on items such as drinking and eating utensils.  The virus can also be spread when an infected person touches a surface, and a person touches that infected surface.  There is an effective vaccine against mumps, which is included in a trivalent vaccine protecting against measles, mumps, and rubella.  But the immune response to a vaccine wears after it is administered.  The incubation period and the routes of transmission worry the NHL subcommittee because these players spend a lot of their time working out, touching the same exercise equipment, using the same locker facilities, flying on private planes, and eating meals together.  An infected player can infect several people on his team before he shows symptoms and is isolated from his team.  Furthermore, the staffs of these professional teams and the families of these players present another high-risk group for these outbreaks.  Kyle Brodziak, a center for the Minnesota Wild, spoke to reporters recently about his new born child: “I have a newborn at home, nine or ten days old.  It’s something you’ve got to hope for the best that you don’t bring anything home.”  Mumps outbreaks are common in close contact groups, but Brodziak is right.  The only things that most of these players can do are follow the protocols and try to stay healthy.

   
-Nalani Wakinekona

References

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/282785411.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/tanner-glass-diagnosed-with-mumps--virus-invades-eastern-conference-182703803.html

http://nypost.com/2014/11/29/rangers-winger-hits-mumps-in-the-road/

6 comments:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Celina Jeff said...



I am so happy how Robinson Buckler cured me from Herpes virus and Hepatitis-b, since 4 year ago i was effected with herpes simplex virus 1 and hepatitis-b, and i have taken all manner of drugs prescribed to me by several doctors,but all my effort was wasted,i cried all day thinking on how i can be cured of this illness, i lost hope while i was looking for solution for my health,but one faithful day, i was searching the internet i came across several testimonies about Robinson Buckler,and how he has cure so many effected individual ,so i try and contact his email and asked him for solution about my herpes simplex virus 1 and he started the preparation to my cure,to my greatest surprise after two weeks, i was totally cure by his powerful herbal medicine,i never believe that i could be cure from this wicked disease until i met Robinson Buckler i’m very grateful to you and i know your herbal medicine will save more millions of lives. his email Address Robinson buckler, …Whatsapp phone number +1 (502) 443 8691....https://www.robinbuckler.com

Marie Planta said...

Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line:+2348101755322 or his Email via dr.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

Jackson Williams said...

Hi, is a true life experience is not designed to convince you its a personal health experience, sometimes medical doctors take a different approach about herpes treatment. i has been stocked in bondage with herpes for two years and four months i has tried different means to eliminate this sickness because it surely has distract me even with the world, and i was told there is no cure, but only medicine for treatment all the possible ways i has tried was treatment, two months back i did some herpes research and i found amazing testimonies concerning natural herbal cure, and i go for it through the email address from the post just to give a try of herbal treatment, and i found it grate without delay i got cured with natural treatment from doc Onokun herbal cure his cure are powerful and shows out excellent result. and i think everyone suffering with herpes and others symptoms should also know about this cure from, Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

robetharmonton said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486