Friday, December 12, 2014

Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Chikungunya, Zika, and Tahiti

As of the 9th of December, the hospital of Taaone in Tahiti has reported 5 deaths due to Chikungunya. 4 of these cases have have presented with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, the severe inflammatory neurological disorder that often attacks the peripheral nervous system and can lead to permanent paralysis.

According to the report from ProMed, GBS is not normally associated with the Chikungunya virus infection. All throughout the Americas, there has been very little correlation between Chikungunya infection and GBS. Interestingly, ProMed stated that in the same region there have been over 40 cases of GBS from Zika Virus infection in 2014 alone. Although these patients were not infected with Zika Virus, the increased case number of GBS in the region and after infection with both of these ARBO viruses is worth noting for practitioners who positively diagnose these Flavi and Toga viruses in patients.

ProMed does not postulate a reason as to why there is an increased case number of viral infection followed by GBS in the region, but I can think up a number of hypotheses as to why there might be. First off, if the patients are all native pacific islanders, there may be a genetic predisposition to GBS in that population. Another possibility is that there is something distinctly different about the virus in the area. Both of these hypotheses could be tested by looking at the people who have been affected by GBS, and sequencing the genomes of the virus that caused the infection in the first place. This information would be great to have on hand as Chikungunya starts spreading its way across the entire globe.


- Marcus Munoz


3 comments:

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

robetharmonton said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486