Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Study Finds No Evidence of CMV in High-Grade Gliomas/Glioblastomas

Previous reports on the presence of cytomegalovirus (CMV) in high-grade gliomas (HGG)/glioblastomas (GBM) have been conflicting. A study published in Clinical Cancer Research did not find an association. 

The study consisted of two arms. The retrospective arm consisted of 25 fresh frozen tissues from GBM patients that were tested for CMV by real-time PCR. Tissue microarrays from 70 HGG patients were tested by immunohistochemistry (IHC) for the presence of CMV proteins. 20 formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded GBM tissues were tested by IHC and chromogenic in situ hybridization, targeting specific CMV-encoded proteins. All of these tests were negative for CMV. 

The prospective arm consisted of tissue and blood samples from incident cases of HGG. CMV DNA was found in only 3 baseline plasma samples and 1 follow-up sample. 8 out of 15 patients were seropositive, which is similar to the prevalence in the general population. All tissue samples were negative for CMV by a number of methods.

-Sally Tran

Reference:
Holdhoff M, Guner G, Rodriguez FJ, et al. "Absence of cytomegalovirus in glioblastoma and other high-grade gliomas by real-time PCR, immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization." Clinical Cancer Research. 2016. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-16-1490

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486