Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A Historical Inquiry into Viral Bioweapons

In his book Biovalence: Preventing Biological Terror and Crime, author Barry Kellman talk about the various ways in which biological weaponry have been used, and could be used, to inflict mass causalities.  While this is certainty a good read, he mentions in one section how soviet scientists spliced Venezuelan equine encephalomyelitis (VEE) genes into smallpox to create a “chimera” virus that would be resistant to vaccines and anti-viral treatments.  I was curious what genes were spliced, and how these could possibly confer resistance.

VEEV virus is a member of the togaviridae viral family, and is positive sense single stranded RNA virus, while smallpox is a member of the poxviridae family and is a double stranded DNA virus.  On a practical level one has to admire how splicing these genomes together in the cold war era would have been quite a technological feat. Why did they do it then? What qualities did VEEV have that smallpox could have benefited from to make a deadlier bioweapon?

My initial theory was that VEE genes when combined with the variola (virus that causes smallpox syndrome) genome, would result in a hybrid virus capable of the neurological symptoms of VEE, such as headache and coma, and the conventional smallpox symptoms in a chimera virus they named VeePox.  I though this was unusual, as smallpox already seemed symptomatic enough, and the source does not elaborate on why VEE was chosen specifically. There are numerous sources that quote the soviet scientist Ken Alibek, who defected to the U.S. and gave us the intel on what the soviets were doing, but I have been unable to find what specific genes were spliced.

However, after investigation it was not the symptoms of VEEV that made it appealing as a potential bioweapon, but rather the expense in producing a biological weapon.  The VEE virus is cheap to produce on a large scale, and much much more stable than the smallpox virus.  Without knowing more about the specific genes that were spliced, I would argue that it was the practical aspects of VEEV that made it a good candidate for recombination.

A person possibly infected with VeePox
Image credit

-Cynthia Taylor

Sources:





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486