Friday, March 24, 2017

Flu virus shifting east, hitting older adults hardest

Influenza season may seem like a routine occurrence every winter season has become a more pronounced problem in the Northwest this flu season. Flu activity decreased slightly but were at high level in mid February. Some states only saw isolated instance of influenza illness while most saw widespread infection. The most astonishing characteristic of this flu season has been the great number of middle age adults that have been hospitalized. The cohort with the second highest percentage of hospitalizations has traditionoally been 0-4 year olds but this year 50-64 year olds have taken the spot. With 33 per 100.000 adults 50 to 64 being hosptilazied and 21 per 100,000 children  up to age 4 getting hospitalized, scientists are wondering what is leading to this trend. While the predominant strain of flu can shift from year to year, the predominant strain this year H3N2 has been seen before and did not induce such a high rate in middle aged adults. The vaccine effectiveness has determined to be even higher at 48% overall compared to 47% in the past thus is not the cause of the increase. The good news is that the worst of the flu season is though to be over and rate of hospitalizations have begun to go down.

Vander Harris


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486