Tuesday, January 27, 2015

To Protect His Son, A Father Asks School To Bar Unvaccinated Children

For this week's New & Hot Blog, I chose to highlight an NPR story from this morning, posted on KQED's health blog, State of Health. "To Protect His Son, A Father Asks School To Bar Unvaccinated Children" highlights the story of father Carl Krawitt who is rallying against the elementary school, Reed Elementary, of his six-year-old son Rhett.

Krawitt's issue with Reed Elementary is that it permits an unusually high percentage of unvaccinated children to attend school on the basis of "personal belief exemptions," reflecting a suspicion of vaccines that pervades Marin County, California, where Reed is located. Krawitt cares deeply about this issue because it potentially has a huge impact on Rhett, who cannot be vaccinated against measles due to a recent fight with leukemia. A startlingly high 7% of children at Reed Elementary lack immunity to measles, among other highly infectious diseases.

Normally, individuals who battle childhood cancers rely on herd immunity to shield them from infectious disease, but below the threshold of 98% vaccination (normally understood as necessary for measles herd immunity), Rhett is vulnerable to the measles outbreak that has been cropping up in communities with low vaccination rates across California (most famously at Disneyland).

Krawitt and his wife Jodi have requested the district superintendent to consider barring all unvaccinated children from attending Reed and surrounding schools.

--Shubha Raghvendra

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/01/27/381888697/to-protect-his-son-a-father-asks-school-to-bar-unvaccinated-children?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150127

2 comments:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com‎

Kate Russell said...

I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322