Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tacaribe Virus in Ticks


Researchers at the University of Florida have found that ticks native to southeastern US carry the Tacaribe virus from the family Arenaviridae.  Previous to this discovery the virus had not been isolated in animals or humans in the US. A recent study recorded that about 10% of the ticks that were captured from northern Central Florida contain the virus.  In most cases isolating a virus from an insect isn’t very notable; however several properties of this viral family make this discovery important.  Firstly, the majority of Arenaviruses that infect humans cause severe hemorrhagic disease particular in South America and sub-Saharan Africa.  Viruses such as Lassa virus and Machupo virus can easily kill those without access to medical care.  Fortunately Tacaribe virus doesn’t cause disease in humans.  Secondly, most Arenaviruses that infect humans are transmitted via rodents and their excrements making an insect intermediate host very interesting.  Katherine Sayler, a scientist at the University of Florida Veterinary School said, “This finding is exciting because it expands the range in which these viruses might be circulating in the environment.” With this increased range, also comes increased risk of exposure and infection. The virus was first isolated in bats in Trinidad in the 1950s.  Despite this finding the researchers believed that bats were not the natural reservoir of this virus.  Further attempts to identify the natural reservoir has been unsuccessful.  Discovering that ticks now harbor the disease gives us more answers but it still doesn’t give us the whole picture. 

-Nalani Wakinekona

References


4 comments:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com‎

Kate Russell said...

I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

lee dixon said...

contact dr lamp for herbal cure medicine to all life diseases. herbalcuremedicine@live.com he does everything herbal to cure people, I just got cured of herpes

shwan said...

I want to write a little testimony about the good work of dr ebacol who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Ebacol email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 weeks and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address drebacolherbalhome1@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348159042641 Dr Ebacol also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Ebacol and be free from suffering.