Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Beating the clock: researchers develop new post-exposure prophylaxis rabies vaccine

A new study published by Prof. Biao He et al in the Journal of Virology suggests that a rabies vaccine in development could reverse the progression of the disease even after it has taken root in the central nervous system (CNS).

He and his University of George colleagues published the paper, entitled "Parainfluenza virus 5 expressing the G protein of rabies virus protected mice after rabies virus infection," in the December 2014 issue of the journal. A Science Daily article summarizing the findings aptly described traditional rabies therapies as a "race against the clock," as post-exposure prophylaxis must be administered in a critical period before the virus infiltrates the brain.

In contrast, the new vaccine, caused reversal of rabies which had progressed to the CNS in 50% of tested mice. The key innovation of this new rabies vaccine is its use of the innocuous (to humans) virus PIV5 (parainfluenza virus 5) as a vehicle for the delivery of the rabies G protein. When this particular protein is presented to the immune system, antibodies to this antigen are more rabidly produced.

Researchers explained that this represents an improvement over the weakened and modified rabies virus currently administered to patients. Importantly, the new vaccine only contains the antigen that catalyzes immune response, so risk of vaccine complications is much lower.

The efficacy of this vaccine in human patients remains to be seen.

--Shubha Raghvendra

Sources:
1. http://jvi.asm.org/content/early/2014/12/26/JVI.03656-14
2. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150126164650.htm

3 comments:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com‎

Kate Russell said...

I Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

Thato Amelia said...

My first symptoms of ALS occurred in 2014, but was diagnosed in 2016. I had severe symptoms ranging from shortness of breath, balance problems, couldn't walk without a walker or a power chair, i had difficulty swallowing and fatigue. I was given medications which helped but only for a short burst of time, then I decided to try alternative measures and began on ALS Formula treatment from Tree of Life Health clinic. It has made a tremendous difference for me (Visit w w w. treeoflifeherbalclinic .com ). I had improved walking balance, increased appetite, muscle strength, improved eyesight and others. ]