Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy Chikungunya Year 

While Chikungunya has been appearing in the news often during Fall 2014 because of the numerous cases in the US, it gained increasing popularity in the beginning of the new year because Lindsay Lohan contracted the disease in French Polynesia and used social media to inform her fans of this fact. It seems that nowadays, a virus’ claim to fame is through the world of entertainment. An advice to viruses that want to be made known worldwide is to infect a celebrity who has millions of Instagram followers. Lohan herself has 2.5 million followers. Numerous articles were written about Lohan’s infection, including an article in the celebrity section of New York Times. Lindsay Lohan posted empowering messages such as “I refuse to let a virus affect my peaceful vacation."

Many articles have been published about the virus recently because of the end of year assessments of its damage in the Americas, the Carribean.  Whereas previously Chikungunya infection was limited to Asia and Africa, the virus appeared for the first time in the Western Hemisphere in December 2013 when several cases were reported. In the year 2014, more than a million cases were reported in the Western Hemisphere and more than two thousand cases were recorded in the US. Many predict huge outbreaks in 2015 in Florida due to it being a state visited by many people from the Caribbean and Central America. Numerous have indicated that the virus has gained a toehold in the US foreshadowing a dim Chikungunya filled future.

By Mariam Kyarunts

http://time.com/3651313/lindsay-lohan-chikungunya-virus/
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/01/01/374198141/painful-virus-sweeps-central-america-gains-a-toehold-in-u-s

2 comments:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com‎

Unknown said...

i was diagnose with genital warts,last six months which finally shows out! i had hpv. for very long time i suffered for the virus and i was told there is no hpv cure. except treatment to control it i just fill killing my self because there was no hope all i could think loosing my life because it was so embarrass for been hpv patient. about few weeks ago i read possible natural cure on line which was guarantee and i purchased it. after two weeks taking herbal treatment the hpv got eliminated by killing all symptoms and the warts in my genital area disappeared. it so amazing i got ride to the hpv. i so much like to shear this testimony to every article for others living with hpv there is possible natural herbs to eliminate it. email Dr onokun for help. his herbal clinic address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com