Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Rat Race: Analysis of the hidden NYC Vectors


Rats are everywhere. Especially in cities. Disease is everywhere. Especially in cities. 

It seems then somewhat surprising that no study has yet surveyed local rat populations—until now.  C. Firth and PI Ian Lipkin recently published an in depth analysis of the lovely pathogens harbored by, arguably, our most ubiquitous furry friends in new york city.  And their results show that, not only do rats shelter a large variety of dangerous viruses, but that this study probably should have been conducted earlier.

Some of the most deadly human viral infections are zoonosis—meaning viruses that infect animals and enter human populations via close contact. Thus, this survey of 133 rats presents a nice sample (but probably incomplete) of what we might expect to find on these other city dwellers.  One of the main findings was the percent of Seoul virus (SEOV) a hantavirus. Other notable viruses detected included anellovirus, parvovirus, circovirus, picornavirus, flavivirus and rotavirus.  Nearly all of these viruses could be a public health concern. The rats all had high viral loads with the leading represented families being picornaviruses (1.8 picornaviruses per rat) and flaviviruses (.48 flaviviruses per rat)

On a more positive note, the research also found Hepatitis C like virus in the livers of many of the rats, providing a possible future model of Hep C in humans.

Full article can be found here: http://mbio.asm.org/content/5/5/e01933-14
---Lauren Sweet

1 comment:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com