Wednesday, October 22, 2014

$6.6 Million Awarded to Study Lassa Fever Virus

Given our recent discussion of Lassa Fever Virus, I decided to focus this week’s blog post on a $6.6 million NIH grant to the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego to study Lassa fever virus.   Lassa fever virus is a hemorrhagic fever virus that is spread by rodents and people.  It kills 30,000 to 40,000 people in Africa each year, or 10-15% of those infected, making it more deadly than Ebola in terms of number of deaths.  Furthermore, it is the most common hemorrhagic fever virus in the region. 
The grants’ principal investigator is Michael Oldstone – a name we’ve heard in class quite a few times in reference to lymphocytic choriomeningitic (LCMV).  Interestingly enough, LCMV and Lassa fever virus are structurally similar, so our knowledge on LCMV can contribute to a deeper understanding of Lassa fever virus – a virus that is considered more dangerous than LCMV.

 The research will take place in La Jolla and Sierra Leone, and the grant will allow researchers to study immune responses in Lassa fever patients and compare responses in those who survive and those who die.  Another area of interest for this group of researchers concerns the LARGE gene, which encodes for a protein necessary for viral infection.   Such research can help us discover potential drugs and vaccines, as well as shed light on to what extent immune response actually contributes to death.
Sources:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/20/oldstone-lassa-fever-scripps-nih/

--Andrew Duong

1 comment:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com