Tuesday, October 28, 2014


700 year old virus isolated from the ice

Scientists have discovered a new virus. The DNA and RNA was isolated from 700-year-old Caribou feces, found in a drilled ice core. Two distinct viral genomes were isolated—one with a small circular DNA viral genome (ancient caribou feces associated virus, or aCFV) and one with a partial RNA viral genome (Ancient Northwest Territories cripavirus, or aNCV). The viral capsids were protected for 700 years by the extreme cold. These viruses are related to the geminivirus family (which infects plants). The viruses were no longer alive, but researchers were able to use a modern geminivirus multimeric clone to induce the DNA virus to infect Nicotiana Benthamiana in the lab. The researchers think that the virus came from foliage eaten by the caribou or from flying insects ingested at the same time as foliage.

It is very likely that as global temperature increase and more permafrost melts, many more ancient viruses, not unlike these will be exposed. Any number of viruses may be exposed and some of them may still be infectious. When considered with the giant virus uncovered in Siberia a few weeks ago, it may be wise to develop a stratagey to deal with these potentially dangerous ancient pathogens.


Madeleine Bousquet

References:

1 comment:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com