Thursday, October 30, 2014

Densovirus as a Beneficial Virus


     So this isn't a human virus, but I think it's cool enough to be relevant. A new study released claims that Densovirus is a mutual symbiont of a moth (Helicoverpa armigera) and protects against baculovirus. This breaks a central dogma of viruses that states all viruses are detrimental to health. This study shows that Densovirus infection is beneficial to this moth. Helicoverpa armigera Densovirus-1 (HaDNV-1) is wide-spread in adult populations of these moths (>67%).  The study found a strong negative interaction between HaDNV-1 and nucleopolyhedrovirus. Bioassays also showed that moths infected with HaDNV-1 had increased resistance to nucleopolyhderovirus. The researchers found no negative effect on the moths from HaDNV-1 infection. Another interesting thing is the fact that the virus could be transferred horizontally and vertically.

    When I first read this, I thought it was pretty cool because it shows a virus being beneficial to their hosts. However, the moth is actually a global crop pest and nucleopolyhedrovirus is used in biopesticides against the moth. soo..... We need to make sure these moths don't get infected with densovirus.

Source: http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1004490

- Jimmy

1 comment:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com