Friday, October 24, 2014

Chikunguya count rises in Canada

According to recent reports, there has been an outbreak of the chikungunya virus in Canada, where over 200 Canadians have fallen ill the fever and severe joint pain, as well as muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue and rash that characterize the mosquito-borne virus.

As of now, there has been no local transmission of the virus in Canada. A spokesman from Health Canada, the country's federal health department, stated that the majority of cases have been Canadian vacationers that recently traveled to areas like the Caribbean, where the disease is endemic. In Jamaica, for example, over 60% of the population has fallen ill with the virus, and government officials have declared a state of emergency. In fact, the Caribbean islands have been shaken by this surging epidemic since the first case arose in the northeastern Caribbean island of St. Martin-- the first documented case of Chikungunya in the Western Hemisphere. Almost 800,000 people have been infected in the Caribbean, the majority of them in the Dominican Republic.  This is also the first time there has been an instance of local transmission of chikunguya in the Americas. The country's health minister said last month that nearly 500,000 people there have battled chikungunya. Previously, chikungunya outbreaks have occurred in countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Indian and Pacific Oceans.


 Although there is currently no medicine or vaccine to prevent chikungunya, the good news is that infection with chikungunya virus is rarely fatal. At the moment the CDC has only a Level 1 travel warning for areas in the Americas

The main health advisory given by the CDC and WHO currently is to either avoid in traveling in chikunguya-affected areas. Other than this, it is advised that measures be taken to prevent mosquito bites, but in areas where avoiding mosquito bites is nearly impossible, this guidance provides little comfort or direction for Caribbean health departments struggling in the wake of these recent outbreaks.

By Kasiemobi Udo-okoye

2 comments:

ben rita said...

5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Lydia Bridget said...

Good day every one, i want to inform the public how i was cured from HERPES by a Doctor called Dr agidigbi. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of expensive drugs to treat the symptoms and never cured me. A closed friend of mine introduce me to a Herbal Doctor who cured her. I was scared to contact him because of what i experienced from fake doctors. she encouraged me and gave me his whatsapp contact,and i contacted him via whatsapp on +2348117952155 and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. when i contacted him i asked him series of questions, i also ask him to show me the results of those he have cured with his herbal drugs,and he gave me all the information i needed that gave me hope. He send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me. am now herpes negative. God bless you for being a sincere and great man. Am so excited and am free from herpes virus. you can contact him if you have any problem whats-app +2348117952155{1}HIV/AIDS{2}DIABETES{3}EPILEPSY{4} BLOOD CANCER{5} HPV{6} ALS{7} HEPATITIS{8}LOVE SPELL{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA{10} HERPESor add him on email dragidigbiherbalhome@gmail.com..