Monday, November 2, 2020

Some COVID Genes- What Do They Mean?

 Recently, a genome-wide association study for Covid-19 came out in the New England Journal of Medicine, and several associations of notice have been discovered. Importantly, these links cannot indicate with certainty any causality, only association. The Severe Covid-19 GWAS Group performed a genome wide association study involving nearly 2000 patients with severe Covid-19 (i.e. respiratory failure) at different hospitals in Italy and Spain. They found significant correlation at locus 3 as well as 9 at odds ratios of 1.77 and 1.32 respectively. The association at locus 9 was associated with ABO blood groups, and further investigation showed blood group A has higher risk (odds ratio 1.45) and blood O group exhibited a protective effect (0.65). Odds ratio describes the chance of an event occurring divided by the event not occurring; thus an odds ratio above 1 is seen as positively correlated and below 1 as negatively correlated. It is important to point out that 1.77 may seem very significant, but could really be 90% chance of the event occurring in the numerator and 50% in the denominator, which in a sample size of 1000 is worth considering.

The researchers performed a genome-wide meta-analysis and then for the blood type study they selected ABO SNPs and SNPS for the HLA loci. The association signal for the 3 locus interestingly included alleles associated with lung cells, as well as one gene SLC6A20 which codes for sodium-amino acid transporter that interacts with the ACE-2 SARS CoV 2 surface receptor. The locus also had genes that encoded chemokine receptors, including one which regulates the lung memory Cd8 T cells. These findings have implications for who has risk factors for severe COVID. In terms of the blood groups, scientists still aren’t sure why the O blood group may have a protective effect, so this requires further investigation, and again, the link is still tenuous and no causality is present.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2020283


-Sammy 

1 comment:

Sharon Wayne said...

I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.