Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Double Trouble: burden of cervical cancer associated with HIV

 The risk of getting cervical cancer is six-fold for women living with HIV associated with an increased risk of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, rapid progression of infection to cancer, lower regression chances of pre-cancer lesions and higher rates of recurrence. 5% of cervical cancer cases worldwide can be attributed to HIV with an uneven distribution. The proportion of cervical cancer attributable to HIV is greater than 40% in 8 high HIV prevalence countries whereas for 127 countries with low HIV prevalence it estimates lower than 5%. This stark disproportion places cervical cancer burden in the African continent where 85% of cervical cancer cases are reported. In the sub-Saharan region of Africa, in addition to high HIV prevalence, insufficient HPV vaccination, screening and treatment for cervical pre-cancer and cancer contribute to this burden. 


A lot of work has to be done to reach WHO’s targets of eliminating cervical cancer by 2030 that includes 90% HPV vaccination coverage, 70% screening coverage, 90% access to treatment for cervical pre-cancer and cancer and access to palliative care. If this goal is achieved WHO estimates a 40% reduction in cervical cancer incidence and prevention of 5 million deaths by 2050. 


Some countries like Rwanda have championed cervical cancer screenings and HPV vaccinations but the question remains, with added COVID-19 burden, will African countries reach this goal? 


-Bethel 


Reference 


2 comments:

Ryan Archer said...

Traditional herbal medicines are based on the use of natural remedies like Herbs and Roots, no special food no lifestyle change to permanently cure drug resistance diseases. Patients who use this methods will definitely testify. Though not all are natural and may contain heavy elements which the kidney finds difficult to filter and excrete that is why I recommend drutuherbalcure@gmail.com.
Two years ago I was permanently cured of oral herpes by Dr Utu.
Dr Utu herbs are hundred percent natural, no after effect and is guaranteed many have testified to this

famous Animation said...

Happiness is all i see now big thanks to Dr. Ubarlo from West Africa (NIGERIA), I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease herpes Virus for the past 2 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, hospitals have been my home every day. Constant checks have been my hobby not until this blessed day, I was searching through the Internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr. Ubarlo. from West Africa (NIGERIA) helped someone in curing his herpes Virus . quickly I copied his Whatsapp Contact: +2348119508814 just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did,he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal medication, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just contact him by Email: at drubarlohome@gmail.com whatsapp him on +2348119508814 HIS HAVE THE CURE TO THIS FOLLOWING DEADLY DISEASE [1] Ischemic heart disease [2] Cerebrovascular disease [3] Lower respiratory infections [4] Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [5] Diarrhea diseases [6] Trachea, bronchus, lung cancers [7] Tuberculosis [8] Diabetes mellifluous [9] Hypertension heart disease [10] HIV/AIDS