Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Medium Article: Why I will get my fly shot every year (or at least until don't)

Medium Article:  Why I will get my fly shot every year (or at least until I don't)

Francesca Olguin 

In Humans and Viruses, we talked about the public’s varying stances on vaccination.  Of course, I scoffed at anti-vaxxers, baffled by their arguments and distrust in the public health system. That is until we discussed an even more dangerous group of people, the vaccine-avoidant.  It was then that I realized that I was one of these people; I am the biology major, the virology student, and the anti-anti-vaxxer that didn’t get my flu shot...  

This story begins with a lovely day in April of 2019, I had just gotten home from Arizona for Spring Break and the quarter had just began.  It was my 23rdbirthday and I had been organizing the festivities for weeks. To start the day, my roommate and I planned a long, 6-mile run. We had both been running 6-8 miles four times a week, so I was surprised by a massive wave a fatigue around mile 4 that was so bad my roommate had to run home, get the car, and come pick me up at the Dish.  We chalked it up to lack of sleep or dehydration and went on with our day.  I felt completely healthy the rest of the day until my birthday dinner at Pizzeria Delphina.  One minute I was enjoying dinner and wine with friends, and the next I was begging my roommate to drive me home because I was feeling so unwell.  There it began, my week-long run in with The Flu.  Until that point, I am not convinced I have ever really been sick with the flu, only bad colds.  My mother was quite strict when it came to vaccination and my job at the hospital during my undergraduate degree made me get vaccinated yearly.  Throughout November and December, there never seemed to be a good time to get the vaccine; there was always an excuse or somewhere to be. 

As the days progressed and 103-degree fever was showing no sign on waning, my dad arrived to take me to urgent care where a positive flu test prompted a very interesting discussion.  My doctor gave me the option of trying the anti-viral Tamiflu, though he was not sure if I would respond to the course since it was day three/four since the onset of my symptoms.  When you feel that sick and your head is spinning from a high fever, you’ll agree to anything with even the slightest chance of making you feel better; I barely noticed the doctor trying to explain that it may have been too late for the Tamiflu to help.  In retrospect, it was too late for the Tamiflu to aid my immune response.  It must be taken either as a prophylactic or within the first 48-hours of infection and is only shown to maybeshorten the course of infection by one or two days.  The timing of Tamiflu treatment perplexes me; it is incredibly difficult for a patient to get themselves from the couch to their bedroom those first few days of infection, let alone to a doctor.  I cannot help but think that most patients do not make it to the doctors in this 48-hour window. Yet, they will receive a prescription for Tamiflu regardless of whether it will work because they want to feel like they are doing something, anything, to make themselves feel better.  So regardless of whether Tamiflu is actually helping patients, Genentech is still cashing in on sales.  It is a brilliant strategy from the big-pharma perspective, especially given the questionable effectiveness of the product.  Furthermore, in my experience the Tamiflu side effects may outweigh the potential benefits.  The only thing Tamiflu did for me was kick me when I was down; adding severe gastrointestinal symptoms and vomiting to the already unbearable influenza symptoms.  

In the end, I survived the flu. This course helped me understand every aspect of my influenza viral infection, from the moment I did not get the vaccine to recovering from the illness.  The onset of the symptoms was rapid, reflecting the rapid viral reproduction in the respiratory tract, and the fever was caused by the immune system raising my body temperature in an attempt to inhibit viral replication. When I first got over the flu, I thought to myself, “you are getting the damn shot every year, no excuses.” Then a few months passed, and these thoughts were all but forgotten. This seasons influenza vaccine was released and my roommate and I made loose plans to get vaccinated that fell through weekly. Finally, we mustered up enough initiative to go to Vaden to get the vaccine.  I know how important influenza vaccination is and know the devastating impact it can have on my life, but boy is it annoying to get that shot.  

Word Count: 809 

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw �� % sure no site effects with active immune booster

Email him for you cure
Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
WhatsApp/ Calls
+2349015049094

GARRY HELEE said...

Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is
a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last
three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with
the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was
browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a
testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes
i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr
LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal
medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like
this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly
contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbahome@gmail
.com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people
out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more
email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM
+2349056464736
DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
1. HIV/AIDS
2. HERPES
3. CANCER
4. ALS
5. Hepatitis
6 Diabetes
7 LOVE SPELL
8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

Brain purple said...

4life products are phenomenal and energy booster. With the active immune boosters contained in it, our products helps in maintaining your immune system to 473% thereby help in fighting different sickness/diseases such as HIV/AIDs, Diabetes,Asmthmatic , HSV,HPV and all viral and contractual virus
4Life belongs to the United Natural Products Alliance, an international association dedicated to providing consumers with natural health
At 4Life, we don’t just sell products. We sell science. The only company powered by transfer factors, powerful communication molecules, we’re committed to supporting immune system health. Our products are meticulously researched at our laboratory by in-house scientists. As a provider of innovative supplements, essential oils, luxury skincare, and more, we have a product for you.
You can make yourself live better with high immune balance, I could work here now because i know how strong and effective 4life products have helped and I'll recommend 4life products supernatural and anti viruses products to build and fight any viruse that tries effect your system with your daily activities
Pick a product for yourself to your dore step ,we have
Scientifically proven products

US patents and 38 international patents

30-day money-back guarantee
No site effects,
You can check out on us in
website
www.4life/10892961.com
Or contact the distributor@
brainpee147@gmail.com

Christina N. said...

I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

ABBY HARRIS said...

Am short of words for the amazing work you perform to helped me cure my herpesvirus in just 2weeks of using your herbal formula am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I was scared because I was scammed twice before I meant you, knowing what i am consuming now I know your herbal formula is safe and effective just only two weeks of drinking the herbs my outbreak and other symtoms vanish, I went to the doctor and did test the results was supper, I will keep thanking you more and more, today I am heathy and totally cured with your herbs,
Thanks DR DOHGO
you can contact him via
Via whatsapp: (+2347062142293)
I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

Email (doctordohgo@gmail.com)

Dr dohgo also cure the following diseases:
Cancer, genital warts, diabetes, EBV, HPV, ALS, stroke, eczema, Alzheimer's and many more.