Sunday, December 8, 2019

Adenovirus is Common -- Why Not Another Vaccine? (MEDIUM ARTICLE_GAMBOA)

During my freshman fall quarter, I got really sick during finals week. In less than 24 hours, I was feverish, vomiting, coughing, and laying in bed with a sore throat and achy muscles. For the next week, I would lay in bed––except for the occasional trip to Vaden where I had x rays, blood work and IV treatments to restore my fluids. It took two weeks of resting, drinking lots of fluids and binge watching Netflix before I finally felt better.

Why did I get so sick? I had adenovirus. Adenovirus is a flu-like disease that causes a range of symptoms, including conjunctivitis, fever, pneumonia, bronchitis and diarrhea. It is commonly spread respiratorily, through close contact with another sick person or by touching surfaces with adenovirus on them. In fact, a girl who lived on the floor above me had very similar symptoms.

Adenovirus is a very common infection. It’s estimated to be responsible for between 2% and 5% of all respiratory infections. In winter, infection with type 4 or 7 causes recognisable illness in military recruits, with about 25% requiring hospitalisation for fever and lower respiratory tract disease. Adenovirus occur sporadically across the country and throughout the year. The scariest part of these outbreaks is how quickly the virus can spread––and how much damage it can leave in its wake. In 2018, adenovirus type 3 killed one 18-year-old college student, named Olivia Paregol, at the University of Maryland. Last year, a different adenovirus outbreak killed 11 children and made 36 sick in a nursing home in New Jersey. With more cases appearing, researchers and scientists have suggested changing current health policy––especially in regards to the adenovirus vaccine.

Yes, there is currently a licensed vaccine for adenovirus types 4 and 7 for military personnel only. The vaccines are available as two tablets; and a single tablet provides 99 percent protection from each of the viruses. The vaccine is recommended for military personnel because disease transmission rates can be especially high in their cramped living quarters. However, adenovirus is also commonly found in college dorms and schools, and even though the efficacy of the vaccine is excellent, there is no vaccine for the general public. This means that students like me are vulnerable to the disease while at school––and could end up missing their fall quarter finals because of it.

So why isn’t the vaccine available to the general public? The first reason is that the vaccine has not been tested in the general population or on people with weakened immune systems. There is reason to believe that it may lead to troubling consequences if we used it on a large scale. Secondly, and more importantly, there is little demand. Although adenovirus has caused some fatalities, it does not kill on the scale of the flu or HIV, for example. As mentioned earlier, adenovirus only causes 2% to 5% of all respiratory illnesses, suggesting that outbreaks are rare, contained and unburdensome. In other words, it would be very difficult to get people to vaccinate themselves against something that they don’t perceive as a threat.

However, the true threat of adenovirus may be currently underestimated. In a recent study at a college in Pennsylvania, 15 percent of students who showed up at clinics with influenza-like illnesses had adenovirus––mostly strains 3, 4 and 7. Another study completed by Magdalena Kendall Scott of the Oregon Public Health Division reported 198 adenovirus cases in two large Oregon hospital systems. “Adenovirus-7 might be reemerging in the United States and might be associated with increased numbers of severe respiratory infections,” Scott and researchers wrote in their 2016 report. 

Another problem that may prevent the production of a vaccine for the general public is the variety of adenovirus subtypes. According to the CDC, there are more than 51 strains of adenovirus. With so much genetic variety, researchers and biologists would have to decide which strain to target; or they would have to discover how to create a vaccine with universal potential––which has yet to be done. Though the current vaccine is remarkably effective, the vaccine has its limitations. The adenovirus vaccine is made out of live-attenuated virus, which is a fancy way of saying the virus has been crippled or weakened. After vaccination, the live viral particles may be released from the pill into the gut. Because it is live, the virus may be shed in stool and might spread. This would be particularly harmful, as it would leave the elderly, children and the immunocompromised especially vulnerable. 

All in all, there is little reason to believe a public adenovirus vaccine will be available any time soon. Without market demand or financial incentives, pharmaceutical companies have diverted their interests and are instead prioritizing other research. This means hundreds of people will remain at risk, as the number of cases in the U.S. continues to climb. Today, ongoing surveillance by the CDC focuses on which adenovirus strains are circulating in the population. With this data, we may be taking baby steps towards protection. 

Word Count: 834

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw 💯 % sure no site effects with active immune booster

Email him for you cure
Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
WhatsApp/ Calls
+2349015049094

GARRY HELEE said...

Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is
a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last
three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with
the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was
browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a
testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes
i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr
LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal
medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like
this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly
contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbahome@gmail
.com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people
out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more
email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM
+2349056464736
DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
1. HIV/AIDS
2. HERPES
3. CANCER
4. ALS
5. Hepatitis
6 Diabetes
7 LOVE SPELL
8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

Unknown said...

I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful. herbalist called Dr. Onokun and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr. Onokun and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Christina N. said...

I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

ABBY HARRIS said...

Am short of words for the amazing work you perform to helped me cure my herpesvirus in just 2weeks of using your herbal formula am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I was scared because I was scammed twice before I meant you, knowing what i am consuming now I know your herbal formula is safe and effective just only two weeks of drinking the herbs my outbreak and other symtoms vanish, I went to the doctor and did test the results was supper, I will keep thanking you more and more, today I am heathy and totally cured with your herbs,
Thanks DR DOHGO
you can contact him via
Via whatsapp: (+2347062142293)
I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

Email (doctordohgo@gmail.com)