Friday, March 12, 2021

The Mystery of Asia and Africa’s Low COVID Death Tolls

  One of the strangest things most of us have forgotten to take note of in the frantic scramble that has been the last year with COVID19 are the remarkably low death rates in many Asian and African countries. David Leonhardt pointed out in his Good morning article for The New York Times that this is not how pandemics usually work. We expect pandemics to take their greatest toll on the developing world due to poor sanitation, lack of access to medical care, and inaccessibility of resources needed to combat a pandemic. With COVID19, however, death per million residents in the U.S. and the U.K. due to the virus is over 1,500 while in places like Ethiopia, Pakistan, Tanzania, Thailand, and Bangladesh it is no more than 100. What might explain this unexpected phenomenon?

        There are some hypotheses, but no single hypothesis or combination of hypotheses has yet to account for the extreme discrepancy in death rates between the world's wealthiest and poorer countries. One of the hypotheses being explored is that countries in Asia and Africa have fewer old people -- most people die before reaching old age. Take the Philippines for example. The percentage of people in the Philippines who are over 65 years of age is only 5.5% compared to 16.9% in the U.S. Another interesting hypothesis is that these regions of the world may have endemic coronaviruses that the Western world doesn’t have. The theory is that exposure to other coronaviruses may confer greater immunity to people in Asia and Africa against SARS-CoV-2. Given the large number of viruses that probably circulate among humans undetected, this theory could hold its own under investigation. Indeed, many different coronaviruses are thought to be causes of the common cold syndrome. 

        Finally, it’s thought that policy matters and response to the initial warning bells of COVID’s arrival have played an important role in the spread of disease. Preparation for the pandemic in the U.S. was poor, and response was disjointed and disorganized. In contrast, several African and Asian countries took heed of the WHO’s recommendations and instituted mask mandates and closed their borders early on. Clear messaging from governments about the dangers of the virus could have made a difference in the behavioral response of the people living within their borders. When we have no vaccine and no drugs, behavioral changes are paramount in combating a pandemic. 

        While all of these factors probably played some role in the surprisingly low death tolls seen in Asia and Africa, they are not enough to account for the vast difference. Studies to determine other factors at play will provide heavily searched for answers to this pandemic mystery. 


- Renata


References

The Morning - The New York Times, March 8th

Share of population older than 65 in the Philippines from 2015 - Statista, accessed 3/12/2021

Share of old age population (65 years and older) in the total U.S. population from 1950, accessed 3/12/2021


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was a HIV-AIDS patient and I got it from cheating on my wife. It was sort of a payback but a week later I was told by a friend that the person who I cheated with had the HIV-AIDS virus and did not tell me. I was so stupid by not using a condom I thought since he was an old school friend he was trustworthy. But I was wrong. I cried and cried. Two days later, I got a phone call from my friend and he told me about a person who is known by another friend, who can help me. I could not let my wife know what I was going through. I finally got his email address: oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com and I emailed this man my story and he replied me immediately saying i should be calm and told me that everything will be OK. I could not come to terms with what I was hearing but then I concluded it did not matter because I was so broken I just needed help. I was going out of my mind literally. I was confused with what he was telling me, but I listened. He told me about some materials i need to buy that he needed to cast the spell and I said OK. I bought the materials to him, I sent down my picture to him and my positive result sheet and he replied me that i am going to be negative under 3days. I message Him every 2hours for 2day and I knew he thought that I was crazy but I did care I needed a shoulder. Behold, the third day he messaged me i should go for a test that i will be negative. My marriage could be broken because of a stupid mistake and my life was on the line. I remembered when I was going to get the results of my re-test I called him up again and told him that I was going to get my results today and his reply was “so" and that everything will be as he explained. I knew then that he was getting tired of me calling him, maybe I was wrong. Well I got my results and the first person I called was him - again. As he said hello I started to cry and cry. I could not believe it. I was given a second chance in life.This man is a great spiritual HIV/AIDS healer, his healing spell on aids healing is very powerful .please brothers and sister, contact Dr Ose oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com
whatsapp +2348136482342