Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Global Solidarity Amidst Crisis

  In the face of crisis, we protect our own. But is protecting this own above all else the best way for the world’s leading nations to deal with the pandemic? When vaccines against COVID19 first arrived, the U.S. was at the peak of the pandemic. There was a rush to vaccinate health care workers, then those most at risk, and efforts have now turned to vaccinating teachers. Amazingly, nearly a third of the American population has already been vaccinated (NPR) and similar rates are being reached in other wealthy countries. But according to a joint statement made by WHO and UNICEF directors in mid-February, almost 130 countries around the world had yet to administer a single dose -- not even to healthcare workers. What’s more, the statement says that “of the 128 million vaccine doses administered so far, more than three quarters of those vaccinated are in just 10 countries that account for 60% of global GDP.” From this, it seems clear that people in wealthy nations are getting vaccinated while people in poorer countries, even those countries’ health care workers, are not. 

        This is a tough issue to wrangle, let’s look at America as a case study. On the one hand, Americans are still dying from the virus and the number of new daily cases in the U.S. hovers around 64,000 (Google, accessed 3/9), a number that is not at all insignificant; on the other hand, keeping much of the world’s vaccine supply to themselves is unethical and could eventually backfire, putting Americans at great risk once again. This risk that’s run by hoarding vaccines in wealthy nations is that poor countries are left vulnerable to the virus, enabling the virus to replicate and mutate within those populations. Much like how influenza replicates and mutates in the Southern hemisphere to re-infect the northern hemisphere come winter and vice versa, COVID could mutate to the point where it is no longer susceptible to the vaccine that wealthy nations are currently reluctant to share. 

       Then there’s the ethical challenge -- Some of my peers who are teaching assistants for classes are getting vaccinated because they fall into the category of “educators”. And while I respect them for their work (teaching to a bunch of faceless names in boxes over Zoom is no small task) the reality is that they will be fulfilling all their responsibilities virtually from their homes or dorm rooms without much risk of becoming ill. In contrast, health care workers in poorer countries must continue to attend their jobs in person, putting themselves at great risk of becoming ill to help those who already are ill. Vaccines are much more likely to mean the difference between life and death for these health care workers than for my peers tucked away in their bedrooms. 

        It is notable that Biden and other world leaders have committed financial resources to improving COVID vaccine access in the global south. But this funding can’t bring vaccines to poor countries if the entire vaccine supply has been effectively committed to these same wealthy nations. It would be much more effective for the U.S. and the U.K. (some of the nations poised to receive enough vaccines to immunize their country’s populations several times over) donated doses instead of dollars. In the present, the choice of these nations to reserve vaccines for their own people makes sense while the high incidence of COVID cases remains high. But once incidence decreases, even if it means younger groups will have to wait longer for the day they get their shot, wealthy nations ought to show solidarity with the rest of the world by donating excess vaccines to other countries. This is both the compassionate and smart thing to do.

- Renata 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was a HIV-AIDS patient and I got it from cheating on my wife. It was sort of a payback but a week later I was told by a friend that the person who I cheated with had the HIV-AIDS virus and did not tell me. I was so stupid by not using a condom I thought since he was an old school friend he was trustworthy. But I was wrong. I cried and cried. Two days later, I got a phone call from my friend and he told me about a person who is known by another friend, who can help me. I could not let my wife know what I was going through. I finally got his email address: oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com and I emailed this man my story and he replied me immediately saying i should be calm and told me that everything will be OK. I could not come to terms with what I was hearing but then I concluded it did not matter because I was so broken I just needed help. I was going out of my mind literally. I was confused with what he was telling me, but I listened. He told me about some materials i need to buy that he needed to cast the spell and I said OK. I bought the materials to him, I sent down my picture to him and my positive result sheet and he replied me that i am going to be negative under 3days. I message Him every 2hours for 2day and I knew he thought that I was crazy but I did care I needed a shoulder. Behold, the third day he messaged me i should go for a test that i will be negative. My marriage could be broken because of a stupid mistake and my life was on the line. I remembered when I was going to get the results of my re-test I called him up again and told him that I was going to get my results today and his reply was “so" and that everything will be as he explained. I knew then that he was getting tired of me calling him, maybe I was wrong. Well I got my results and the first person I called was him - again. As he said hello I started to cry and cry. I could not believe it. I was given a second chance in life.This man is a great spiritual HIV/AIDS healer, his healing spell on aids healing is very powerful .please brothers and sister, contact Dr Ose oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com
whatsapp +2348136482342

Gary Amy said...

i am here to give my testimony about a doctor who save my life. i was infected with HERPES for than 2 years, I tried different doctors over a period of time but no one work, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about DR USELU  how he was able to cure someone from HERPES virus with the help of herbal medicine I contacted him and he promised to cure my herpes virus.well i decided to give him a try, DR USELU put his best in it and gave me good and effective result just as he has promised. well after taking all the treatment sent to me by Dr USELU i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HERPES Negative. You can contact him if you have any kind of sickness like, HERPES, HIV, CANCER, PILE, HEPATITIS, DIABETES, and alot more you can contact him ON Whatsapp (+2347052898482) or Email dr.dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com