Friday, March 12, 2021

Mosquito Proteins and Therapeutic Avenues

    Despite the extremely remarkable pace of Covid-19 vaccine development and deployment, it is treatment options for Covid as well as many viruses that seem to lag behind in success. Recently, a study showed that convalescent plasma showed no real benefit in terms of treatment for the coronavirus, and other attempts at treatment have similarly seen little success. False information had also led to the touting of hydroxychloroquine as a viable coronavirus treatment option, though data shows that the medication shows no significant reduction in the usual effects of the virus. In the non-coronavirus realm, significant treatments have resulted for viruses such as HIV, but antiviral treatment lacks for many other viruses.
    Recent studies from the NIH have shown that the mosquito protein AEG12 can strongly inhibit the flaviviridae family viruses such as dengue, West Nile, and Zika virus. The study also showed the protein to weakly inhibit coronaviruses. How this protein accomplishes this task is by breaking down the viral envelope and the protective coverings which could lead to potential therapeutics for millions of people across the world who have contracted enveloped viruses but less so against naked viruses. 
   Dr.  Geoffrey Mueller, the head of the NIEHS Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Group, said the group figured out the AEG12 structure by utilizing X-ray crystallography and that at the molecular level AEG12 wreaks havoc on the membrane by stealing the lipids which hold the virus together. Thus, through great disruption, the AEG12 protein can kill some viruses with great efficacy. The downside to these results showing success in flaviviruses and minor success in coronaviruses is that therapies would take years to make the compound successful within humans. The issue comes from the fact that AEG12 splits open red blood cells so it would have to be genetically engineered to avoid that drastic outcome. 
    This new finding, although not going to revolutionize treatments at least in the near future, is an exciting foray into how discovering proteins from insects and animals can contribute to human therapeutics. The "One Health" approach into looking at animals and insects and how viruses interact with them should be heavily on the radar of scientists looking for treatments for human ailments. To understand the structure of a protein can be pivotal in its ability to help treat diseases. 
-Sammy
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210310/Mosquito-protein-study-could-lead-to-therapeutics-against-deadly-viruses.aspx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was a HIV-AIDS patient and I got it from cheating on my wife. It was sort of a payback but a week later I was told by a friend that the person who I cheated with had the HIV-AIDS virus and did not tell me. I was so stupid by not using a condom I thought since he was an old school friend he was trustworthy. But I was wrong. I cried and cried. Two days later, I got a phone call from my friend and he told me about a person who is known by another friend, who can help me. I could not let my wife know what I was going through. I finally got his email address: oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com and I emailed this man my story and he replied me immediately saying i should be calm and told me that everything will be OK. I could not come to terms with what I was hearing but then I concluded it did not matter because I was so broken I just needed help. I was going out of my mind literally. I was confused with what he was telling me, but I listened. He told me about some materials i need to buy that he needed to cast the spell and I said OK. I bought the materials to him, I sent down my picture to him and my positive result sheet and he replied me that i am going to be negative under 3days. I message Him every 2hours for 2day and I knew he thought that I was crazy but I did care I needed a shoulder. Behold, the third day he messaged me i should go for a test that i will be negative. My marriage could be broken because of a stupid mistake and my life was on the line. I remembered when I was going to get the results of my re-test I called him up again and told him that I was going to get my results today and his reply was “so" and that everything will be as he explained. I knew then that he was getting tired of me calling him, maybe I was wrong. Well I got my results and the first person I called was him - again. As he said hello I started to cry and cry. I could not believe it. I was given a second chance in life.This man is a great spiritual HIV/AIDS healer, his healing spell on aids healing is very powerful .please brothers and sister, contact Dr Ose oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com
whatsapp +2348136482342