Thursday, October 10, 2019

Infection, Evolution, and Koalas

Infetion, Evolution, and Koalas 

A new study published in Cell, gives us insight on how wild Australian koalas are helping researchers better understand how DNA protects itself from viruses. The recent viral epidemic in Australia has had the continent's famous fuzzy little bears fighting infection and susceptibility to cancer. The virus, KoRV-A, spreads between individual animals, just like most retroviruses—however, it is also passed through the germline cells to offspring. 

Interestingly enough, scientists have been able to use this mechanism to learn more about how germline cells respond to virus intruders. From their findings, it seems that germ cells posses an ability that had previously been undiscovered. Our germline cells are able to detect the "un-spliced" virus-specific RNA introns, cut them up into piRNAs, and ultimately stop the formation of the virus to suppress genome infection.

According to the researcher, Zhiping Weng, who is a professor in the Program of Bioinformatics and Integrative Biology at UMass Medical School:

"What we are seeing with koalas is something that every organism on the planet has gone through. Animals get infected by retroviruses that enter the germline cells. These viruses multiply and insert into the chromosomes, altering host genome organization and function, and the process continues until the invader is tamed by the host. At the end of this infection cycle, the host has changed." 

The makes a lot of sense given that a large chunk of our human genome encodes fo fragments of DNA viruses. Thanks for the lesson, koalas! 

Sources:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867419310086?via%3Dihub
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191010113231.htm

- Caity McGinley

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I'm very happy being Herpes free now. It was a sad incident that was announced to me after the check up in the hospital and I was diagnosed of HSV 2. I thank God now for using Dr.odey Abang to cure my virus. I'm not ashamed to say this because no virus of such can be detected in me. I'm Charlotte from Columbia. I thought about it many Times when I heard about this Herbal cures for Herpes. I was really happy when I came across blogs of comments of Doctors who run cures sicknesses and was comfortable to try Dr. Abang from patients testimony I came across here on my online page. I knew now they are real Africa herbalists who run cures for Herpes. There's every opportunity to be cure with natural herbs, because all medical prescriptions are derived from herbs and roots. Its really hard time living with Herpes on drugs which can't get you cure. I tried this and I can boost of myself now as a woman. I need to be loved not to lost, get your instant cure to all sicknesses from Dr, Odey Abang.
He cures HSV,HPV,Cancer,low spam count and much more from the evidence I saw 💯 % sure no site effects with active immune booster

Email him for you cure
Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com
WhatsApp/ Calls
+2349015049094