Thursday, October 12, 2017

Got Calcium? Calcium helps T cells proliferate and fight viruses

A recent study at NYU School of Medicine has provided a new perspective on how our bodies, specifically T-cells, respond to a viral infection. It turns out that calcium is extremely important in helping T-cells proliferate by activating a transcription factor called NFAT, which turns on genes that regulate the uptake and breakdown of glucose. Moreover, a specific calcium channel present in T-cells, or SOCE (store-operated calcium entry), is directly responsible for regulating and activating NFAT, which means that SOCE, or calcium flow into these T-cells, are directly responsible for the breakdown of glucose that is required for T-cell proliferation. This new finding helps explain how drugs like tacrolimus help fight autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, (diseases where an oversensitive immune system ends up attacking the body's own tissues) since it shuts down the NFAT pathway therefore inhibiting glucose usage and T-cell proliferation. Furthermore, the research team also found that human patients with deficiencies in these calcium channels did not have T-cells that were proliferating or taking up glucose upon T-cell isolation.

Looking forward, Martin Veath, a postdoctoral researcher that works under Dr. Feske at the Department of Pathology in NYU, states "These results are timely because the field is currently exploring whether a drug class CRAC channel inhibitors can be used safely against autoimmune and inflammatory diseases in human patients, and our study fills in key details on some of the relevant mechanisms." If such a drug class was approved, treatment of viral infections would certainly improve.

-Daniel Gutierrez

Source:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171011131649.htm






1 comment:

johnson judith said...

• This is real take it serious, i am JOHNSON JUDITH i am from Ireland. Who will believe that a herbal medicine can cure HERPES, I never believe that this will work, i have spend a lot money getting drugs from the hospital to keep me and my son healthy, it got to a point that i was waiting for death to come because i was broke, one day i heard about this great man called Dr ODUWA who is well known for Herpes, HIV, and Cancer cure, i decided to email him I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared a herbal medicine (CURE) and, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that 4-8 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of the two weeks, he told me to go to the hospital for a checkup, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me HERPES negative, and my son and i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving our life's, I promise I will always testify of your good works. If you are HERPES patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via: dr.oduwaspellhome@gmail.com or whatsapp him at +2348070685053.
THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr ODUWA CURE
. COLD SORE
. HERPES
. CANCER
. HPV
. LASSA FEVER
. GONORRHEA
• Herpatitis B