Sunday, October 2, 2011

Constant Vigilance

Rabies isn’t a new disease. But for those of us who grew up in suburbia, well-off metropolitan areas, or other places where stray dogs and wildlife are less than common, we have little experience with it. We understand the threat it poses, and even without that knowledge we would shy away from animal bites, but few have any conception of what living with this constant threat feels like. Jonathan Owen of the Independent, a British publication, shares with readers the realities of the disease: its symptoms, transmission, stories from victims, and the not-so-gentle reminder that we need to be vigilant in both our avoidance of stray and wild animals in foreign countries and our support of programs that are on the ground, vaccinating and combating this rampant disease.

Owen takes data from the World Health Organization and the Global Alliance for Rabies Control to show that somewhere between 55,000 and 70,000 people die from rabies every year and roughly 10 million are treated for bites from potentially infected dogs. 20,000 of these deaths come from India alone, and the majority of these deaths are children under the age of 15. In Asia and Africa, this disease on a daily basis threatens slightly less than half our world’s population. And it’s still spreading- the first case in Bali appeared in 2008 and the entire island was affected with cases within 6 months. British travelers return from locations in Africa and Asia in need of rabies treatment has tripled since 2000. Hawaii, Australia, and Antarctica have thus far escaped infection.

I occasionally forget that science is never enough. We know how rabies is transmitted and we have a vaccine if administered quickly after the bite, but without the resources to make vaccinations affordable, control potentially infected dog and other wild mammal populations, the science isn’t as protective as it could be, as it should be.

Read the article

Check out the Global Alliance for Rabies Control


-Emily Pollock

5 comments:

Ose White said...


God bless Dr Oseremen for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV. and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HIV out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about Dr Oseremen how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HIV, Dr Oseremen truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through what's app +2349056394313 and you can also contact me to know more about him on my email Dr.oseremenvadi@gmail.com DOCTOR Oseremen CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
1} cancer
2} diabetes
3} hepatitis
4} fibroid
5} HIV virus
6} pregnancy herbal medicine
7} ex back spell casting

vera white said...

Regarding genital Warts or herpes treatment. If you need a permanent cure and removal of it, be it Anal warts, Penis Warts, Vagina Warts, Oral Herpes or Genital Herpes. This site is the only site that i can recommend to anyone that can get rid of any kind of Warts or Herpes. I have ordered their medicine and it worked for me. I have also recommended it to a friend and she also testified positively about their medicine after using it. So i now concluded that it works perfectly, email him doctorvadi@yahoo.com or whatsApp +2348074133083 
If it works for you, then you can as well recommend it to others. good luck.  

Anonymous said...

I was scrolling through a binary option group ,then i saw a post by Robert Seaman about Forex and binary trading and how i could earn much more than i can imagine, i got in touch with him and he made every step clear to me and how his strategy would work magic. and it really did!! i got $16k my first week after i invested just $750 if you are having difficulties in trading, she can also manage your broker account,which you will also have your ACCESS LOGIN so as to enable you to check your trade records and balance daily  contact Sir Robert through Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com

Tamara Barrow said...

Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr voodoo cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr voodoo the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348140120719 or email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr voodoo that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com?. or WHATSAPP +2348140120719

Laura Mildred said...

Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542