Thursday, March 13, 2008

No Polio Shot in Belgium = JAIL

On 12 March 2008, the Associated Press reported that two sets of Belgian parents who recently failed to vaccinate their children against polio were handed prison sentences by the Belgium government. Each parent was fined $8000 and given 5-month jail sentences.

Belgian law requires polio vaccination, and there are no exceptions (not even for religious reasons) EXCEPT if parents can prove that their child will have a serious adverse reaction to the vaccine.

France is the only other country that mandates polio immunization by law. Another case of required vaccination is during the annual Muslim Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, where pilgrims must show proof of vaccination if arriving from polio-endemic areas.

Read more here: Jail for Belgians Who Reject Polio Shot

Erin

2 comments:

Unknown said...

With polio being so crippling and yet preventable at the same time, I don’t understand why any parents wouldn’t get their children vaccinated. However, a parent has the right to choose if they will get their children vaccinated. With that said, I think that these parents were exercising their parental rights. Saying no to a vaccine should NOT mean a jail sentence.

Also, I am a fellow science blogger. I am doing research on my blog’s audience. Could you take a minute to fill out my short survey on what you think about my blog? Thanks.

http://infectiousdiseaseblog.com/2008/03/15/blog-survey/

Christina
www.infectiousdiseaseblog.com

Christina N. said...

I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com