Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Epidemics as Tests of Rationality

One of the fascinating angles that a health epidemic such as the current Corona outbreak brings to the forth is the degree to which humans can (or cannot) be approximated as rational agents. We would like to think of ourselves as rational beings, but as the growing field of behavioral economics has shown, reality is far from it. A real human made of flesh and blood is far from the rational contemplating platonic agent we hope it to be. To put it differently, it looks like our brains have certain bugs (or features, depending on how one look at it) which become especially noticeable under certain new conditions.

As an example, it seems like our rationality is particularly vulnerable whenever we are faced with situations that involve probabilities. Most people have no problem handling judgments that require basic mathematical operations like addition or multiplication or even more complex operations such as solving equations. However, the same people often cannot make rational conclusions when faced even with the simplest situations that involve probabilities or statistics. There has been many excellent works that have shown these deficiencies in detail. For example, Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow is a classic and detailed study of the subject.1

One of these shortcomings that helps us understand the reactions to the current Corona outbreak better is what Kahneman calls the "availability" heuristics. This is the case where people make decisions or judgments about the probability of an event based on examples or instances of that event that they can access most easily. In the current context, this means judging the severity of the situation based on the most readily available examples or images. And because for most people the news outlets are their window to the reality, and because those outlets are saturated with news about the Corona outbreak, the natural conclusion is to associate a very high risk with the corona virus. In other words, the public perception of the risk associated with the virus is almost independent of the actual statistics and data. That there is a higher risk of dying from the flu than from Covid19 (at least as of now) does not seem to matter.

This non-rational response has profound effects as it tends to be amplified in situations involving closed positive feedback loops, leading to unstable behavior. As a result, we have witnessed the biggest drop in the financial markets in the past few days since the depression of 2008. In other words, we panic not because of some real world reality, but because others have panicked. And our panic causes more panics in others, which in turn causes more panic in us, etc. Clearly, this outbreak is far more than an infectious disease outbreak. It is also a laboratory for studying the nature of human behavior.

~~ Moe Azadeh

1. Daniel Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011.

7 comments:

dr,idowu treat and cure many types of disesse and virus with his herbal medicine add him on whatsapp now {+2348052789941} or email him [dr.idowuherbalhome@gmail.com} is a real man ,trust me ok said...

Good day to all viewer online am so happy sharing this great testimony on how i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr.idowu the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals Herpes simplex Virus,so I contacted him base on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him actoday through his email he can help you email ; dr.idowuherbalhome@gmail.com and so he can cure types of diseases like,HEPATITIS B,DIABETICS,CANCER,HPV,LOW SPERM CAM HIV/STDS FIBROSIS LOST OF WEIGHT .. all thank to you Dr idowu for your kindly help in my life his whatsapp  number +2348052789941.{+2348052789941} if you have any problem you can contract him immediately save life pls ,yours health is urs  wealth ,is not  fake pls ,give him a trial ..thanks  you dr,idowu onces again,thanks you .

Pastor Aziba said...

Hello I am Prophet AZIBA I was sent by God to deliver his children if you are suffering from Herpes,Cancer,Hiv,cold sores or any kind of sickness contact me today through my email:priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
or message me directly on Whatssap +2348100368288 for your deliverance today. if you are also having problem in your marriage, you want your ex back , job promotion or looking for a job contact me today for the Lord says with faith we can move the mountains. there is nothing like impossibility in the presence of thy Lord.

PRESHY OBOITE said...


HELLO EVERYONEI’M SO GRATEFUL TO DR. ONUWA FOR CURING ME COMPLETELY FROM HERPES VIRUS . I WAS TOLD I HAVE HERPES IN 2011, I HAVE BEEN TAKING DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEDICATION STILL YET NO IMPROVEMENT UNTIL I SAW TESTIMONIES OF DR. ONUWA CURING HERPES, DIABETES, HIV AND OTHER DISEASE I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT CONTACTING HIM BUT I ALSO KNEW THE IMPORTANCE OF HERBAL MEDICINE, I MADE UP MY MIND AND CONTACTED HIM WE TALKED ON PHONE AND HE PREPARED AND GAVE ME MEDICINE WHICH I TOOK ACCORDING TO HIS DOSAGE INFORMATION. NOW I’M SO HAPPY I’M CURED FROM HERPES MY HEART IS SO FILLED WITH JOY, THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. ONUWA . IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU HAVE HERPES OR ANY KIND OF DISEASE CONTACT HIM TODAY EMAIL:DRONUWA2@GMAIL.COM .. HE CURE LISTED DISEASES CANCER HIV ALS EX BACK JOB OPPORTUNITY HEPATITIS A AND B DIABETIC. ETC

DR. AZIBA HERBAL CURE HOME said...

My Name is Dr Aziba Herbal Remedy is 100% guarantee for Penis Enlargement you can Contact Me via Email Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com For Best natural male enhancement Product with 100% guaranteed results. I prepare top Herbal selling male enhancement product with herbal formula and no side-effects.Contact Me for info Via Email:Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
WhatsApp:+2348100368288
Website https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com/
FACEBOOK PAGE: @DOCTOR AZIBA






My Name is Dr Aziba Herbal Remedy is 100% guarantee for Penis Enlargement you can Contact Me via Email Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com For Best natural male enhancement Product with 100% guaranteed results. I prepare top Herbal selling male enhancement product with herbal formula and no side-effects.Contact Me for info Via Email:Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
WhatsApp:+2348100368288
Website https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com/
FACEBOOK PAGE: @DOCTOR AZIBA



















My Name is Dr Aziba Herbal Remedy is 100% guarantee for Penis Enlargement you can Contact Me via Email Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com For Best natural male enhancement Product with 100% guaranteed results. I prepare top Herbal selling male enhancement product with herbal formula and no side-effects.Contact Me for info Via Email:Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
WhatsApp:+2348100368288
Website https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com/
FACEBOOK PAGE: @DOCTOR AZIBA















My Name is Dr Aziba Herbal Remedy is 100% guarantee for Penis Enlargement you can Contact Me via Email Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com For Best natural male enhancement Product with 100% guaranteed results. I prepare top Herbal selling male enhancement product with herbal formula and no side-effects.Contact Me for info Via Email:Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com
WhatsApp:+2348100368288
Website https://naturalherbsmedicine.webs.com/
FACEBOOK PAGE: @DOCTOR AZIBA

Morgan Plantar said...


The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure from Dr. Agbomina or reach him through his email: dragbonherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp no: +2349039139161....

Richard Debra said...

I have been suffering from a deadly disease (Hsv) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how Dr Onokun helped someone in curing his (Hsv) herpes disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

ABBY HARRIS said...

Am short of words for the amazing work you perform to helped me cure my herpesvirus in just 2weeks of using your herbal formula am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I was scared because I was scammed twice before I meant you, knowing what i am consuming now I know your herbal formula is safe and effective just only two weeks of drinking the herbs my outbreak and other symtoms vanish, I went to the doctor and did test the results was supper, I will keep thanking you more and more, today I am heathy and totally cured with your herbs,
Thanks DR DOHGO
you can contact him via
Via whatsapp: (+2347062142293)
I advice you shouldn't hesitate. He's great.

Email (doctordohgo@gmail.com)