Thursday, May 6, 2021

Kumbh Mela & India's COVID Crisis

    Looking at the COVID-19 surge in India has been scary, and I (as have many others) have been wondering about the factors that are playing into this surge. One factor that may have played a large role in the spread of COVID is a festival that I just learned about today known as the Kumbh Mela (“koombh mayla”). It happens once every 12 years, and consists mainly of a pilgrimage where some of the world’s most devout Hindus travel to the River Ganges in the months of January through April in order to bathe in the holy waters for religious reasons. The festival typically occurs in a city called Haridwar, and it is estimated that this year over 9 million people have travelled to Haridwar to complete the Kumbh Mela since January. Most of these 9 million people (around 6 million of them) have actually come this month in April, which coincides almost perfectly with when the surge of COVID-19 cases in India began. As a Hindu myself, I was surprised to learn about this festival since I had no idea that it existed. Better yet, I was surprised that over 9 million people could be travelling to one location during a global pandemic. 

Apparently, the main priestly body behind the Kumbh Mela (called Ganga Sabha) has been encouraging people not to go on the pilgrimage this year. Pradeep Jha, the head of the organization, told his followers that they should not gather for the Kumbh Mela this year and should instead celebrate in a measured and safe manner until COVID-19 comes to an end. This did not stop people from going, however, since the state government of the region did not put any sort of cap on gatherings or put a ban on the Kumbh Mela from happening. I find this to be pretty sad, especially seeing that one of the local religious chiefs stated “Death is certain one day for everyone, but we must follow our traditions.” The things people will do for the sake of religion or tradition, no matter how harmful, will always baffle me. 

-Komal Kumar, 4/22/21

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was a HIV-AIDS patient and I got it from cheating on my wife. It was sort of a payback but a week later I was told by a friend that the person who I cheated with had the HIV-AIDS virus and did not tell me. I was so stupid by not using a condom I thought since he was an old school friend he was trustworthy. But I was wrong. I cried and cried. Two days later, I got a phone call from my friend and he told me about a person who is known by another friend, who can help me. I could not let my wife know what I was going through. I finally got his email address: oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com and I emailed this man my story and he replied me immediately saying i should be calm and told me that everything will be OK. I could not come to terms with what I was hearing but then I concluded it did not matter because I was so broken I just needed help. I was going out of my mind literally. I was confused with what he was telling me, but I listened. He told me about some materials i need to buy that he needed to cast the spell and I said OK. I bought the materials to him, I sent down my picture to him and my positive result sheet and he replied me that i am going to be negative under 3days. I message Him every 2hours for 2day and I knew he thought that I was crazy but I did care I needed a shoulder. Behold, the third day he messaged me i should go for a test that i will be negative. My marriage could be broken because of a stupid mistake and my life was on the line. I remembered when I was going to get the results of my re-test I called him up again and told him that I was going to get my results today and his reply was “so" and that everything will be as he explained. I knew then that he was getting tired of me calling him, maybe I was wrong. Well I got my results and the first person I called was him - again. As he said hello I started to cry and cry. I could not believe it. I was given a second chance in life.This man is a great spiritual HIV/AIDS healer, his healing spell on aids healing is very powerful .please brothers and sister, contact Dr Ose oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com
whatsapp +2348136482342

Max D said...

I panicked when I saw the first sore. The medicines could not heal the sores completely, my whole life I was entirely desperate. Till I found the natural permanent cure for herpes virus through Nze Njoku Herbal Home, I felt like I was born-again. You can get rid of herpes from now on, too
Reach Nze Njoku Herbal Home on
nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com
+2349072733661