Saturday, January 7, 2012

Successful recombinant SIV vaccine may pave way for HIV equivalent

A new SIV vaccine has been developed; it’s a recombinant vector vaccine using an adenovirus ‘prime’ to carry SIV genes, and interestingly, the booster is a recombinant Pox virus! After the regimen, infections in rhesus monkeys were reduced by 80% from the experimental group to the unvaccinated control. The researchers found high titres of glycoprotein Abs in vaccinated monkeys and believe these were important in preventing infection, although 12% of said monkeys still did not clear the virus. Humoral responses may also be effective against HIV infection, as noted in the RV114 (Thai) trial, where the 30% of patients who were successfully immunized ‘produced the highest levels of antibodies against HIV’s envelope protein” (GP120). Researchers hope that recombinant vaccines may also work for HIV, but given the species barrier, these SIV vaccines may still not be a good model for developing one for the human virus.

Fun facts about the experiment;
* The monkeys were challenged with SIV intrarectally
* Some Rhesus monkey MHC Class I alleles correlate with stronger control of SIV, thus they were screened out of the study
* There was an 18% genetic difference between the vaccine and challenge strains

- NGUyen

Nature News Article

Full Article

1 comment:

Steven J Morris said...

I am from USA. I was suffering from HEPATITIS B for over 3 years, i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a herbal DR. Dr Chike on Youtube, she said the Dr has herbal medicine that treat HEPATITIS B also said the Dr has helped people with. HERPES, CANCER, DIABETES, HPV, HERPES, HSV 1 .2, Fever, Fibromyalgia, Fatigue and chronic pains. At first I never believed her but after a lot of talking. I decided to contact him, just few days ago i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he sent to me a herbal medicine via {DHL} with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine for 2 weeks he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am negative. I am proud to tell you that I am the happiest person on earth. Big thanks to Dr Chike herbs .. I pray you find a solution in him. For more information on how to get treated Contact Dr on WhatsApp . +233502715551, or Facebook page, @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.