Sunday, January 22, 2012

CCHF in Bangladesh

On Thursday a Bangladeshi man was admitted into the hospital and treated for Congo Crimean hemmorhagic fever, and sadly died, despite medical treatment. The bite of a single tick resulted in his infection and death, the closure of several restaurants, and has mobilized an entire hospital, the Ministry of Health, an infectious disease team, the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, and the Ministry of Regional Municipalities and Water Resources. Though CCHF is transmitted by ticks, it has been known to spread to healthcare workers and nurses, possibly through exposure to blood. There are unconfirmed reports of several other individuals undergoing treatment for CCHF as well.

The aforementioned ministries are taking actions to prevent any other infections through ticks or infected animals, but control of an organism so small as ticks will no doubt prove extremely difficult, as control efforts with mosquitoes for mosquito-borne diseases have proved. Bad meat was also implicated in the infection, and though this connection is unconfirmed, several restaurants have been shut down and people have been told to avoid eating meat that was bought a week before the incident.

--Sarah Kaewert

No comments: