Sunday, January 22, 2012

Can HIV Be Eradicated Without Vaccines?

I read an article recently that discussed the potential for eradicating HIV using prophylaxis and anti-retroviral drugs. It's a curious idea since we are taught in class that having a good vaccine is a dominant reason why eradication efforts have worked in the past. Given the nature of HIV spread, the effectiveness (in preventing transmission) and diversity of anti-retroviral drugs, and the lack of a capable, licensed vaccine, suppressing HIV and preventing it's spread may be the best solution; theoretically, it would take a few generations if our only option was to stop spread and wait until the last person with HIV dies, but people are banking on the possibility of reactivating latent HIV reservoirs--a popular area of HIV research--and flushing the virus out of an individual completely, leading to eradication within decades; it won't come cheap though (est. $24 billion a year) and drugs that change the chromatin environment in latent HIV infected cells would need to be developed and approved. One thing that might hamper the effort would be latency in in Hematopoetic Stem Cells!. If eradication through antivirals is successful, it might change the vaccine-centered paradigm. (Original Article)

- NGUyen

Other Cool Stuff:
*In 2006, CDC recommended routine HIV screening for everyone 13-64 years.

*Below: How the Oraquick test works. The way antibodies and enzymes are represented in the picture makes me chuckle.

3 comments:

Mary Robert said...

Good day My Name is augusta bjorl i am here to share a great testimony of my life i was cure from HIV by a Doctor Name DR CUBA i have been HIV for 5 year i saw doctor Email on the internet so i contact him and i explain to him i follow up the instruction behold 6 days later after taking the cure i went for a HIV text to my surprise it was Negative my family doctor was surprise my husband who abandon me was surprise my brother if you no that you are positive please i will advise you to contact him now and see for your self his Email is drcubatemple@gmail.com why is website is......[ www.dr-cubatemple.webs.com] and also you can contact on whatsapp +2347038965900

Sarah Parkins said...

my name is sarah parkins,herpes have been a problem for me
and my partner for long. We were both infected,
and we knew that we both had a big problem we had to solve.
We tried many treatments, medications and creams, but nothing seemed to cure it.
A friend recommended me to REV (Dr) MIKEL OSARO through his
Email:>> drosaroherbalhealinghome@gmail.com
and from that moment, everything was quick and easy way to
recovery Without drugs or creams it was purely Herbes he
gave us to cure this deadly disease called herpes he wipe
our herpes and now we are happy and healthy. I recommend REV
(DR)MIKEL OSARO, for your herpes solutions, HHV A-6, Cancers,
HBV. HCV, HPV, Hapatities A,B,C, Hiv or any kind of Viral disease
or infection. you can also call him on +2348032943474 for fast and easy comunication

Valencia Grimsley said...


Hello everyone out there,Do you know that there is a great Herbal doctor who can cure any deadly disease? Like Cancer, Hiv, syphilis, diabetes, herpes madness, low spam count And also bring back your Lover e.t.c. Well my main reason why i am writing this right now is to inform the whole world about the great deeds, Dr.Ebosa did for me. I was diagnosed of this deadly disease in the year 2007 ever since then i was taking my medications, until i met the great herbal doctor, though i never believed in herbal med. I saw many testimonies on how a great herbal doctor cured their deadly diseases. I contacted him through his phone number. I called him, he asked me to send him my email, which i did. He gave me a form to fill, I filled it and send it back to him. He told me that he required some items in which he will use in preparing the herbal medicine for me. I don't know where to find the items he required. He told me that the only alternative is for me to send him the money, then he can help me to purchase the items from the items sellers. I promised myself to do anything to get cured. I sent him the money. He bought the items and he prepared the herbal medicine and send to me through courier service delivery and i make use of it as he instructed. few weeks later he asked me to go for check-up, when i did the check-up i was tested HIV Negative. If you are passing through hardship and you need a way out, kindly contact him via his email on ebosaherbalremedy@hotmail.com or http://ebosaherbalremedy.blogspot.com/