Saturday, March 19, 2022

War in Ukraine, War and Infectious Diseases

 This past week, we learned that Russia had invaded Ukraine. This invasion is an immense tragedy and something that has already cost so many innocent lives in Ukraine. In class this week, we also discussed how war can intersect with pandemics/epidemics and exacerbate the spread of infectious diseases. I remember reading a story about a baby who was born in a bomb shelter in Ukraine because the baby’s family could not get to the hospital. I also remembered this past summer reading about how during violent conflict oftentimes hospitals and health centers become targets for violence, which is a strategy used to further destabilize communities. 


It made me wonder how the conflict in the Ukraine will impact the spread of COVID-19 and other infectious diseases. Particularly as conditions of hygiene may deteriorate during times of war, I wonder if people will become more susceptible to certain diseases, and given the close-quarter living style in bomb shelters, I wonder if diseases will spread more quickly through the population. When people flee into new countries, this also increases the risk of spreading disease across borders. Furthermore, many families are living in bomb shelters, so how will health services reach them, especially if people suffer from medical emergencies or need perscription medications? I wonder if there is anything that the global health community is doing about these concerns. 


-Sophia (Week 8)

1 comment:

Ethan Williamson said...

I am from USA. I was suffering from HEPATITIS B for over 3 years, i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a herbal DR. Dr Chike on Youtube, she said the Dr has herbal medicine that treat HEPATITIS B also said the Dr has helped people with. HERPES, CANCER, DIABETES, HPV, HERPES, HSV 1 .2, Fever, Fibromyalgia, Fatigue and chronic pains. At first I never believed her but after a lot of talk. I decided to contact him, just few days ago i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he sent to me a herbal medicine via {DHL} with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine for 2 weeks he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am negative. I am proud to tell you that I am the happiest person on earth. Big thanks to Dr Chike herbs .. I pray you find a solution in him. For more information on how to get treated Contact Dr on, text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 WhatsApp . +233502715551, or Facebook page, @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.